Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Very green, wet and pretty, Bubaque – Gateway to Paradise . .


I have one word for this place.  Amazing!  An untouched remote group of islands (81) off the coast of Guinea-Bissau.  I managed to land on three of them.  Bubaque which is where the regional capital is located.  Upon observation, I could estimate there are several thousand people.  I had a few hours over a couple of days to visit a few areas.  Many areas have wells and since it is in the wet season there is plenty of water.  Had to take a peak.





It rained most days, as we are in rainy season.  We are dead center in the ITCZ.  I have never seen so much wicked weather.  The winds are going one direction, and the tide is coming in at six knots.  Look up and see two huge storms in opposite directions.  You would think you have run from them and around another island the winds are up to 20 knots and your in six foot seas.  Ike!   unpredictable, but an easy time for a roughneck.



Spent a week in Bubaque and must say the people are very friendly and open.  Since I speak a bit of Spanish and French so, I can get along with a conversation or two.  Portuguese (including a Portuguese Creole) and French are the main languages.  Sometimes I am hearing at least four languages in a sentence.  Love it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment