Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Authentic Africa . .




"Authentic Africa . ." phrased from the Hermes Captain, Authentic Africa he described to me last week.  A place so natural, exciting and normal.  “You will surely like it”, Barnard (who is from France), said to me.  As I prep to depart Bissau, I share a few photos with you.  Ravaged from a set of intense conflicts, emerges a nation with an interesting history.  During my visit I found out President Ulysses S. Grant played a pivotal role in the 1870’s.  About a 100 years later Cuba helped the country obtain its independence.  The folks here remember their history and have statues, roads and landmarks that reflect the historic events. 
The architecture is beautiful, Portuguese style in old and new. 

A view of the hotel

One of the many roads in the center of town

Beauty Competition Ladies stayed at the hotel too.  We passed a pub where they were celebrating their winnings and were happy to pose for a shot.


Food was excellent.



One of the bonuses of being a Geologist is not only being the most attractive of the scientists  J  blink blink, but sometimes you are in the right place at the right time.  Sort of like time travel.  You encounter once in a life events.  While I was in the hotel lobby walks in the Prime Minister and his team, he knew who we were!!.  Later in the following morning, I got the opportunity to photograph the Official Futbol team who was at the same hotel prior to their match against Botswana.  I will surely listen in to the match via radio on Saturday.



Also visited the meteorological offices and had the chance to observe some of their equipment.  I'd like someone to comment on the name of the device with the two glass bulbs.





Overall, the country has considerable potential, friendly open people, and in the long run if they think and invest for the long run will compete with the world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment